The Steve Tool: Pottery Tool Review
May 24, 2010 § 6 Comments
I took the opportunity to order a boxful of tools while in Los Angeles visiting with H recently. These included a set of pot lifters (for when I don’t want finger marks on my pots), rubber ribs, sharp new trimming tools, and the Steve Tool! It was a bit of a splurge, but I was taken in by the promise of crazy textures, and how it is interchangeable and customisable!
Of course, handyman Simon comes over and tells me, this kinda thing is SO EASY TO MAKE YOURSELF. But then, it’d be so much trouble to make, that all my energy would be expended before I get to trying it out on my pots :p
So the Steve Tool is a sturdy plastic assemblage of many cartwheel attachments and some spokes, on a plastic handle. All this is held together with some nuts and a bolt and some washers.
Basically you throw a thick cylinder, and hash away at it with the tool… and then expand the clay outwards to form something like this:
Believe it or not, this took several tries. The first cylinder I made was too thin, and didn’t expand enough to make a pleasing texture. The second I overexpanded (too exciting looking at the texture changing, and didn’t stop in time! haha), and it slumped. And then the third was this!!! The clay I used was rather wetter than usual. I think if it was dryer I’d get sharper, more defined texture. Also, when crazing over with the steve tool, I went at it without a care for pattern/regularity. From what I see on the steve website, it’s possible to get some rhythmic texture if you’re more careful about it. Future pots ya 🙂
My only grouse with the tool is that the nut kept falling off. Maybe it has to do with which direction I hold the tool, but the most intuitive way seemed to be the wrong direction. Well these are the fired results… I can’t wait to make bigger pots like these 🙂
As for cleanup, you need a brush of some sort to get the clay out of all the nooks and crannies of the tool. Like it is with all other things, the right tool for the job makes life much easier 😀
UPDATE: Steve says to use all the nuts in the kit so they stay put. My bad, for not following the instructions fully 🙂 thanks for stopping by Steve!